Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Oily Customer Slips Right Out

| Right | August 10, 2015

(Our supplier sent us bottles of sewing machine oil that, despite being sealed, turned out to be empty. Because the bottles are small and opaque we didn’t realise this until customers started bringing them back. A customer came into the store with a defective bottle.)

Customer: “I had to drive all the way back to your store because this oil bottle was empty. You have no idea how much inconvenience you’ve caused me.”

Me: “I’m very sorry for the inconvenience, ma’am. I can offer you either a bottle from the new batch or a refund; it’s up to you.”

Customer: *looks at me as if I’ve asked a stupid question* “I’m obviously going to need more oil. I wouldn’t have bought it if I didn’t.”

(I go and fetch a new bottle and place it on the counter.)

Me: “There, you’re good to go. Once again, I’m very sorry for the inconvenience.”

Customer: *looks at me and blinks*  “Aren’t you going to refund me?”

Me: “Oh, you wanted a refund instead of a new bottle?”

Customer: “Yes! Obviously!”

(I process the refund and hand her the receipt.)

Me: “There you go, all done!”

(She snatches the receipt off me. She then picks up the new bottle of machine oil and starts to walk away with it.)

Me: “Ma’am, wait! I gave you a refund; you can’t take the bottle, too!”

Customer: “It’s compensation.”

Me: “What for?”

Customer: “For the inconvenience you caused me by making me come all the way back to your store.”

Me: “Ma’am, you can’t just take that! It’s stealing!”

(She stuck her nose in the air and walked out before anyone could stop her.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!