Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Amityville Is Still Causing Problems

, , , | Right | January 14, 2019

(I am the manager on duty and working by myself in a video rental store when a customer comes in in the early morning. Immediately I notice the blanketed bundle she is cradling like a baby.)

Customer: *distraught* “I rented a couple of movies and one of them was so disturbing, I couldn’t watch it! I wrapped both up and put them in your dropbox.”

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that, what can I do for you?”

(I can hear the rising panic in her voice and it’s freaking me out a little.)

Customer: “I’m just so disturbed; it was awful! Could I get a refund?”

Me: “Let me look into your account and see what I can do.”

(I see that her bundle is, in fact, a plastic statue of the Virgin Mary. I bring up her account and figure out the disturbing movie was the remake of “The Amityville Horror.” It spooked me, too, but nowhere near as badly as the customer. I think it will be best to do as she asks, since she is so agitated and in turn making me nervous.)

Me: “Okay, if you like I can give you a refund, or I can put credit on your account for a free rental later.”

Customer: “I’ll take the credit. But please warn people about that movie!”

Me: “I know, it was a very scary movie.” *makes the adjustment to her account* “You’re all set. I even credited both movies for your trouble.”

Customer: *looking a little relieved but still clutching her Mary statue tightly* “Thank you, and God bless!”

(It was certainly one of the odder encounters I’ve had!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!