Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Almost Breaking The Machine AND The Cashier

, , , , , | Right | February 21, 2023

Our touchpad isn’t working unless the stylus/pen attached is being used. We’ve placed two signs — one right above the touchpad and the other by the keypad, in big bold letters and highlighted in many colors — telling customers to use the attached stylus/pen. After telling every customer they’re going to have to use the pen, I’m a little annoyed as very few have listened, and this man is my breaking point.

Me: “The PIN pad is going to ask yes or no for credit. Please use the pen; the screen won’t respond to your touch.”

The man ignores me and touches the screen, but nothing happens.

Me: “Please use the attached pen; the screen won’t respond to your touch.”

He ignores me again and, in short bursts, he goes from touching to punching the screen. When that doesn’t work, he looks up at me like I’ve personally told the machine to not work for him.

Man: “It’s not working!”

Me: “Try the pen.”

He ignores me and punches it again.

Me: “Do you think that’s the right answer?”

The sale times out, and he scowls at me and rips his card from the reader.

Man: “You could have told me it was broken before I put my card in it!”

Me: *Very condescending and snappy* “It’s not broken. The screen isn’t recognizing finger touch, but there is this wonderful little pen here you could have tried before assaulting the machine. If you’d like to try again, using the pen this time, I bet you’ll have an easier time.”

He tries again, uses the pen, and grabs his items.

Man: “Next time, you should put up a sign!”

Me: *Still snappy* “Like the two on the machine in bright, bold letters? And if that wasn’t enough, I told you four times to use the pen.”

The man huffs, grasping at straws.

Man: “Well, you can’t expect me to read or listen to a woman!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!