Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Chicken Noodle Soup For The Soul

, , , , | Right | April 7, 2016

(I work at a popular sub sandwich restaurant that also serves soup, salads, and cookies. I’m going through the process of closing the restaurant, and just finished cleaning up the hot area of the line. A visibly pregnant woman spots me behind the counter and runs over.)

Woman: “Oh, my God, please tell me you’re not closed yet!”

Me: “Oh, well, I haven’t closed the register yet, so I suppose not. What can I get for you?”

Woman: “Are you sure? I don’t want to put you out, or get you in trouble! I just need a specific soup you guys have. Have you put your soups away, yet?”

Me: “It’s no problem at all, I promise! I have actually sold out of the pre-prepared, hot soup, but I have some I can heat up for you in the microwave, if you don’t mind waiting about ten minutes for it. What soup were you looking for?”

Woman: “Your chicken noodle. Your chicken noodle soup is my favorite, and my pregnancy cravings have me driving all over town to find some!”

(She tells me the different locations she’s tried, the driving distance adding up to about 60 miles just to find this soup. She looks absolutely desperate, and as though she’ll burst into tears if I tell her we don’t have it.)

Me: “I cannot express how happy it makes me to be the one to tell you we actually do have chicken noodle in stock. How much would you like?”

(She whoops and hops up and down in joy like a little kid. She requests five cups of the soup, almost the whole container, and immediately calls her husband while I prepare it for her. She gets off the phone and calls me back over.)

Woman: “Could I grab a sandwich while I’m here, too? My husband is at work in [City an hour away] and I’m going to surprise him with his favorite when he comes home. Gosh, I’m just so happy you have the soup!”

(We talk idly while I make it for her. She’s hilarious and contagiously excited about this soup. I make sure to include double the normal amount of meat, and she adds bacon and avocado, which is normally extra. She is so excited she barely notices how expensive the sandwich is getting. The microwave beeps, and she squeals in delight when I pack up all her soups in a small box so they won’t spill, and place the sandwich on top.)

Me: “Okay, the sandwich itself comes to [nearly $15]—”

Woman: *visibly winces and nods* “Okay, do you guys take credit?”

Me: “—and with the rest of your order, that makes it [total], but just give me a moment to process your discount before you pay.”

Woman: “Discount? What discount?”

Me: “Oh, I’m going to use my daily employee discount for you so your sandwich comes at half price. I wasn’t planning on using it today anyway, and you’ve just been my best customer ever. The sandwich comes to [cheaper than the base price of the sandwich without any extras], and your final total is [total].”

Woman: “Oh, my gosh, thank you so much! You’re a saint. Can I add some cookies, though? And some juice? What are your favorites?”

Me: “I really like our [very chocolate-y cookie] and [Apple Juice Brand], but we have some other options here in this case.”

Woman: “Oh, no, that’s okay. I’ll get three of those cookies and the juice, please!”

Me: “Your new total is [total].”

(We talk idly about the soup while she pays. She gathers the small box of her food and pushes the cookies and juice towards me.)

Woman: “Here, I got these for you, actually. It’s so nice to find good service, and you’ve been so, so sweet. Have a nice night!”

(I gushed thanks as she left. The cookies really were my absolute favorite in the world, and tasted amazing when I got home. She remains my favorite customer I’ve ever had.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!