Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

All Work And No Trousers

| Learning | May 19, 2015

(I am tutoring a high school junior who is on the autism spectrum. This student is a good student and is usually very well behaved. He tends to talk to himself as he works and uses a few stock phrases to try to keep calm and confident. Today, he decides to try a new one.)

Me: “Okay, [Student], I am going to give you a practice test. Take your time and remember you can do it!”

(The kid begins to quietly work, but a few minutes later he starts to bolster himself.)

Student: “All right, you got this. Keep it in your pants, [Student]. Keep it in your pants.”

Me: “…”

(He’s never used this phrase before, so I let it go, thinking I misheard. Later his mom joins us and he starts again.)

Student: “Okay, it’s going good. Keep it in your pants. You got this.”

Mom: “…” *stares at me in confusion*

Me: “…” *returns Mom’s confused look*

Student: “You can do this; just keep it in your pants, [Student].”

Mom: “Um… [Student], I think you should use a different phrase.”

Student: “I should say something else?”

Me: “Yeah, [Student], try saying ‘Keep it together,’ instead. I think it is more similar to what you are going for. What you are currently saying doesn’t mean what you think it means.”

Student: “Well, what does it mean?”

Me: “Uh… you don’t need to know right now. Just focus on the test, okay?”

(The student just went back to work like nothing happened. He never used that phrase again.)


This story is part of the Autism Awareness roundup!

Read the next Autism Awareness roundup story!

Read the Autism Awareness roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!