Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

All Signs Point To Rude As Heck

, , , , | Right | CREDIT: ExaminationOk7013 | September 15, 2021

I work in a deli where we make an assortment of food. We have screens to tell us how people want it made. We also have a screen to let us know what has been paid for and still needs payment. There is a policy that we have signs up for basically saying you need to pay first.

Toward the beginning of our shift, we started getting busy and hit with orders. We took orders for two ladies.

Me: *In a cheerful customer service tone* “If you’re waiting on food, please head up under the big sign up front to pay and your food should be up shortly.”

They looked, and I thought they heard me. They walked away a bit to go stand and talk and wait. We didn’t even see them standing there until we handed out the next order.

At least ten more orders went out, and I repeated my line between every. Single. Order. I made it sound like a general announcement to everyone around us, so I didn’t get turned on for calling them out. They were standing close enough to hear for their order number but ignored the announcement every. Single. Time.

After the tenth order was called, one of the ladies went off.

Lady #1: “Where is our food?! Order sixty-six and seventy-one?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, if you just go up under that sign and pay, your food will be right out.”

Lady #1: “I don’t want to go up there. I want my food first!”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, but due to policy—”

Lady #1: “I don’t care about that. I want my food!”

My manager had been making orders with me and heard every announcement.

Manager: “Ma’am, we can’t give out food until it’s paid for.”

Lady #2: “We can just go pay for it first so we can get it.”

Lady #1: “I don’t want to! I come here all the time!”

First off, no one cares, because we are in that building more than you will ever be; that doesn’t mean we can change policy. My manager tried to explain again, and this is where I started to laugh.

Lady #1: “I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER!”

Manager: “I am the manager.”

Lady #1: “Whatever. Who cares?”

She was clearly still angry, but her friend eventually persuaded her up front.

Then, she came back.

Lady #1: “There should be signs up if you’re going to change your policies!”

Me: “We do have signs up. And I made several announcements, as well.”

Lady #1: “I’m not arguing with a child!”

I’m in my mid-twenties and normally have people overshoot my age. How nice of her, right?

Me: “Have a great night!”

Lady #1: *Sarcastically* “You, too.”

Me: “And have a safe trip!”

Lady #1: *Super angry* “You have a super nice night!”

Those two ladies are regulars, so I’m sure they will be back, but they know they have to pay first.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!