Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

All Signs Point To Annoying

, , , | Right | CREDIT: CosmicToaster907 | January 19, 2022

I am a manager in a fairly large and well-known craft store in the US and Canada. I’ve been working there for four years now, and I’ve had my fair share of headache-inducing customers. A few days ago, I had one woman that takes the cake.

On Tuesday, I am working on truck — putting new freight on the shelves — when a woman approaches me. She comes in frequently and she’s never the easiest to handle.

Customer: “I have a question.”

I put on my best customer service voice and smile.

Me: “Yes, ma’am? What can I assist you with?”

She proceeds to shove her phone into my face.

Customer: “The app says I will get my voucher within seventy-two hours of earning it. It’s been two days! I want my voucher.”

Me: “Ma’am, seventy-two hours is three days. It’s only been forty-eight. ”

Customer: “Well, I purchased $30 worth of stuff Saturday! Where is it?”

Yes, I know that it should be three days, but she originally said two.

Me: “Ma’am, I apologize, but I can’t do anything in-store. You’ll need to call the customer service line and they can help you. But it takes seventy-two hours for vouchers to update in the system and up to ten days for them to come through your email or app.”

Customer: “It doesn’t say that!”

Me: “You’ve asked us about it before and we’ve explained it before.”

She mumbles something about me being a b**** and walks off.

Twenty minutes later, I’m in the kids’ section putting up glitter. The customer sees the glitter glue pens.

Customer: “How much are these?”

Me: “$4.99.”

She grabs two packs and thanks me.

Ten minutes later, a cashier comes on the radio.

Cashier: “Can someone do a price check? A customer says these glitter pens are $1 but they’re ringing up for $4.99.”

I sigh and reply.

Me:  “I helped her. They are $4.99. She’s aware of this.”

Cashier: “She’s heading back there.”

Great.

The customer points at the $1 tag for items below the pens.

Customer: “It says here they’re $1!”

Me: “Ma’am, they’re $4.99. I told you that when you asked a few minutes ago.”

Customer: “This says $1!”

I grab the hooks with the $1 labels clearly attached.

Me: “These are $1. Those are $4.99. The $1 is sold out. I apologize.”

Customer: “Then those should be $1!”

Me: “No? Those hooks clearly say they’re $4.99.”

She then points lower on the shelf.

Customer: “What about these? It says $2 but nothing is there.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am. That item is sold out ”

She points at the $2 and moves up to the glitter glue two shelves up.

Customer: “Then these should be $2.”

Me: “No, those are $3.”

Customer: “That doesn’t make sense! It should go up to the next item up!”

Me: “No. It is only for that item, not ones above it.”

Customer: “I’ve never heard of that before!”

She storms off.

Not even five minutes later:

Cashier: “[My Name], can you come up front? She wants a manager.”

I walk up front, mentally preparing for the crap show I’m about to walk into. The customer is glaring daggers at me.

Customer: “I have some complaints about how you run this store. First of all, the signs are not clear!”

Me: “Ma’am, we have the same system as almost everyone else. Prices are on the peg for that item. Not above it.”

Customer: “A regular customer like me doesn’t know that!”

I’m internally screaming and thinking, “Everyone knows that. My kids even know how it works.”

Customer: “Secondly, the sale sign over there says 40% off! They’re ringing up as 50%!”

Yes, she’s complaining about the items being on better sale than stated.

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. Corporate will sometimes have a higher sale for items for a couple of days and we won’t receive signs or be notified until we see it at the register.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous! I’m going to shop at your competitor!”

Me: “Sorry to hear that. Have a good day, ma’am.”

She came back in yesterday.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!