Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

All-In-Wonder

, , , , | Right | October 6, 2009

Me: “IT Helpdesk at [University]. How can I assist you today?”

Caller: “Hello. You folks were supposed to give me a new computer. I have a note on my desk with the new log-in and everything, but there’s no computer here!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. May I have your name so I can look up your ticket? ”

(She gives me her name and I look her up in our work order system. I recognize the ticket, as I was the person who set up the computer for her while she was out of the office.)

Me: “All right, ma’am, I’ve found your ticket. I was actually the tech who set this up for you. I know everything was delivered properly and I watched as the department secretary locked the door to your office when I was finished. But you’re saying that there’s no computer there now?”

Caller: “Nope, no computer here. Just a keyboard, mouse, and screen. The door was locked this morning when I came in.”

Me: “Excuse me, ma’am, you said that there are a keyboard, a mouse, and a screen?”

Caller: “Yes, a keyboard, a mouse, and a screen. No computer.”

Me: “I think I see the problem. The computer that we upgraded you to is called an iMac. It doesn’t have a separate tower unit. The whole computer is there in that screen.”

Caller: “No…”

Me: “Yes, ma’am.”

Caller: “You cannot be serious!”

Me: “Yes, ma’am. I assure you.”

Caller: “Are you trying to play a joke on me, young man?”

Me: “No, ma’am. The whole computer is contained in that one unit. Have you tried turning it on? There should be a button on the back.”

Caller: “No… you can’t be serious!”

Me: “Please, just try turning on the computer. There should be a button on the back on the left-hand side.”

Caller: “Hold on…”

(In the background I hear the Apple boot sound.)

Caller: “Goodness!”

Me: “All right, just follow the directions for logging in that I left for you. Is there anything else I can help you with?”

Caller: “This is amazing, young man!”

Me: “I’m glad! Let us know if there’s anything else you need. Have a nice day!”

Caller: “I’m sure I will!”


This story is part of our Macintosh roundup!

Read the next Macintosh roundup story!

Read the Macintosh roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!