Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

All He Needs Is A Good Night’s’ Sleep On An Old Bed

, , | Hopeless | July 30, 2016

(I work in a restaurant and often go outside to smoke in the alley. There is a homeless man, Gus, who sleeps in an alcove out of the weather. He doesn’t bother anyone so we overlook his presence and feed him when we have extras. There is another man who works at the sister location of a different restaurant. He sometimes parks in our lot. Any time something goes bad he has to cover for the location by us. As soon as I see him, I know he is in a bad mood.)

Angry Man: *to me* “Hey, [My Name], someone called in so I’ve got to work a double.”

(He then looks at Gus sleeping on cardboard, does a 180, and walks off muttering to himself.  I stick around thinking he might come back and harass the homeless guy. A minute later he returns with a blanket and a mattress pad.)

Angry Man: “Hey, sir, my kids grew out of their bed. We have a spare pad and blanket. I think you could use it.”

(He walks off and I catch up with him.)

Me: “Man, that was really nice of you to give your old stuff to Gus.”

Angry Man: “I just bought that on my way in to work for the kids’ NEW bed, but he obviously needs it, and I can pick up another on my way home.”

(I am sorry I completely misjudged you, Angry Guy. Just because you seem grouchy all the time doesn’t mean you don’t have a kind heart.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!