Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Alcohol Rubbing Them The Wrong Way

, , , , , | Working | December 22, 2016

(I am at a grocery store on New Year’s Eve. I work in healthcare, so I am working that night, and am picking up some sparkling cider for me and coworkers to open at midnight. I don’t drink, and since we are going to be on duty, it is NOT alcoholic. I am twenty-four years old. I also need isopropyl rubbing alcohol for my home, so I pick that up at the same time. Also note, this is in an area where Mormonism is the predominant religion — a lot of people here don’t drink. The cashier starts ringing up my items and then pauses and looks at the rubbing alcohol and the sparkling cider.)

Cashier: “You know you can’t put the rubbing alcohol in the cider to make it alcoholic.”

Me: “I know.”

Cashier: “No. Really. It’s really dangerous.”

Me: “I know. I’m not going to.”

Cashier: “I don’t think you realize how dangerous it is. This alcohol isn’t for drinking.”

Me: “Look, I work in a children’s hospital, so I really do appreciate what you’re trying to do. I know teens do those types of things. But I just happen to be buying them both at the same time.”

Cashier: “I don’t think you understand… it could kill you.”

Me: “I understand perfectly. However, I don’t drink anyways because of my religion, and I’m on my way to work. I wouldn’t be drinking right now if I did.”

Cashier: “I’ve never heard of a religion that doesn’t drink.”

(This woman apparently lives in Utah but has never heard of a religion that doesn’t drink.)

Cashier: “I don’t think I can in good conscience sell you this.”

Me: “Look. Here’s my ID. I’m 24. If I wanted an alcoholic beverage, I would buy a real one, and not do some weird Prohibition-style punch.”

Cashier: “I want you to understand it’s dangerous.”

Me: “I do.”

Cashier: *shakes her head* “Okay, but I feel really uncomfortably with this.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!