Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Afraid To Be Their Guinea Pig

| Right | June 30, 2014

(I am not actually a store associate but I try to help out since I work as a vendor within the store and I have plenty of information from my veterinary college program. So, I was not really getting paid to do this.)

Customer: “Yes. I would like to know about these gerbils. I want a pet for my daughter. She just turned six.”

Me: “Well, ma’am, gerbils tend to bite if not handled properly.”

Customer: *gasps and points to the guinea pigs* “They bite?!”

Me: “Oh. Those are guinea pigs. And no those don’t usually bite.”

Customer: “Oh, guinea pigs.”

Me: “So were you interested in getting one?”

Customer: “Yes.”

(She starts asking about all the information on guinea pigs, which is on the info card right under the aquarium at eye level. Shrugging it off, I answer her questions.)

Me: “Anything else?”

Customer: “Which one is the healthiest?”

Me: “Uh. All of them.”

Customer: “Okay. But which one is the healthiest?”

Me: “Ma’am, they wouldn’t be on display if they weren’t healthy.”

Customer: “Which is the youngest?”

Me: “Since they came from a breeding distributor they are all the same age. Most people pick them out by what colored fur they have.”

Customer: “Okay. But which is the youngest?”

Me: “You’ll have to ask up front for that information.”

Customer: “Oh, okay. I can leave one of these alone for a week?”

Me: “… Seven days? No, ma’am. There aren’t any pets aside from some fish you could ever leave alone for that long.”

Customer: “Oh. What if it’s just a weekend?”

Me: “No, ma’am. If something happened to their water supply or they got hurt there would be no one there to make sure it was okay.”

(At this point I don’t want her taking an animal due to her lack of knowledge and the potential danger the pet would be put in.)

Me: *hands her a book on guinea pigs* “There is also plenty of information online so you can be better prepared.”

Customer: “Okay.” *turns to her daughter* “We better just get this! It’s a lot more work than we thought for your first pet!”

Daughter: “Second. We had a fish.”

Customer: “Oh, yes. Second pet.”

(I shook my head as I walked back to my store section, thinking that the fish is definitely dead.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!