Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Afraid Of Them Dropping By

, | Right | September 16, 2014

(I work at a popular national home improvement store, and started out as a temporary cashier. This was a particularly busy Sunday afternoon and, as usual, we were short-staffed for cashiers. A customer comes up to me and asks me to page a lot loader to help her load mulch. I do and the lot loader calls me on the register phone and tells me that he’ll help the customer when he’s done loading another customer. Later, the customer comes back with her mulch inside a large wheelbarrow as well as other items inside of it.)

Me: “Got everything you need?”

Customer: “Yes, but I’m not happy. The loader never showed up to help me. I had to use this because there’s no flat carts left!”

Me: “Well, ma’am, there are carts under the annuals and perennials tables—”

Customer: “There weren’t any when I needed them!”

Me: “Well, I apologize for the inconvenience, ma’am. I’ll call the lot loader again and get him to help load the wheelbarrow and the rest of your purchase.”

Customer: *annoyed* “Didn’t you hear me? There weren’t any flat carts left. I don’t want this. I’m not paying for it.”

Me: “All right, then. I’ll grab a flat cart and I’ll just put your items on there and—”

Customer: “Why? It’s already in here. Just ring me up.”

Me: “Ma’am, if you’re not going to buy the wheelbarrow, you can’t take it out of the store. That’s why I offered to get a flat cart to—”

Customer: *throws her hands up* “Just ring me up! I’ll bring the d*** wheelbarrow back.”

(The customer continues to ramble as I ring her up. I call an associate, but tells me he’s busy with another customer. I explained my concern over the fact that the customer could steal a $200 wheelbarrow. Since the customer was urgent to leave and another cashier had come to relieve me for a break. I told the customer I would load her purchase for her. She led me to her mini-van and opened the back door. She had bought an iron rod used for hanging plants which sat on top of the pile of mulch. I placed it at the far side of the wheelbarrow so that I could load her mulch. Just as I load the first bag—with my back to the wheelbarrow—I hear a loud clang.)

Customer: “Ow!” *holds her right ankle*

Me: “Are you okay? What happened?”

Customer: “The iron rod fell on me. I’m sorry. I have a low tolerance for pain. That really hurt.” *heavy tears begin to well up in her eyes*

(I pick up the iron rod and scratch my head, perplexed at how it could’ve fallen when I put it out of the way. At this point, my coworker comes and finishes loading the customer’s purchase and lets her fill out an incident report. I continue working, but the assistant manager calls me into his office. Note: this manager is the asset protection manager.)

Manager: “Hey, do you mind filling out the incident form?”

Me: “Sure. Is the customer okay? She was crying pretty bad.”

Manager: “She has a small bruise on her ankle, but she’s claiming that you dropped it on her.”

Me: *staring, stunned* “Are you serious? After going to the whole trouble of helping her load her purchase? I didn’t want her to steal that wheelbarrow!”

Manager: “Oh, I know. I checked the cameras that survey the parking lot. She dropped it on herself.”

Me: “…seriously?”

Manager: “Hey, you have no idea how far some people will go.”

(Now that customer goes out of her way to let me ring her up. I’ve since been promoted to a higher ranking position, but I steer clear of her to make sure she can’t drop anything else on herself and blame me again.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!