Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Affording A New Degree Of Understanding

, | Right | April 7, 2015

(I’m in my mid 20s, and have been the general manager of a dollar store for about three years. One afternoon, I took over the register to allow my associate a 15 minute break. My first customer gives me a look of pity.)

Customer: “Bet you wish you went to college.”

(This is not an out of the ordinary remark, so I smile as I respond.)

Me: “I did! Had a lot of fun, too!”

Customer: “Oh. Well, I bet you wish you graduated.”

Me: “…I did.”

(The customer is starting to get a little snotty at this point.)

Customer: “Bet you wish you had graduated with a real degree, then.”

(I’m getting angry at this point, because he is very obviously trying to make me feel bad about a job I love.)

Me: “Sir, I graduated from [State College], with honors, with a Bachelor’s degree in forensic chemistry.”

Customer: *shocked* “But why would you work HERE?!”

Me: “Because, for some reason, I like it. But then people like you come in. Will that be all for you today?”

(The customer, face red, quickly paid for his items, and left. I haven’t seen him since!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!