Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Adopting A Deadpan Face

, , , , | Right | September 26, 2018

(I am working front desk at a hotel on a relatively busy Sunday night. I have already had a couple of walk-ins, and this older gentleman comes in asking about room availability for the night. I give him rates, and he decides to stay, so I am inputting his information and making small talk. Note that I am in my twenties, but some people mistake me for a teenager.)

Guest: “Are you from here?”

Me: “Yeah, I grew up here.”

Guest: “It’s a nice place. Do you get a lot of tourism?”

Me: “We get some, depending on the season. When [Big Festival] was still in town the whole town got very full for about a week, but since they moved the festival, it’s been a little quieter in the summers.”

(I’m finishing the check-in process at this point, handing the guest his keys, etc.)

Guest: “And are you happy here?”

Me: *a little confused* “Yes, it’s a good place to be.”

Guest: “Aw, too bad. We were thinking of adopting you! But if you’re happy here—”

(I laughed politely — and awkwardly — as the guest went to get his wife and head to their room. I still don’t quite know what that was about, or how old he thought I was! I’m used to guests saying funny things, but this was the strangest one I’ve heard in a while.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!