Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Acting Odd Over Even

| Right | September 26, 2012

(I’m cashing out a customer and her total comes to an even number, $14. The following exchange takes place.)

Me: “That will be $14 please.”

Customer: “How much?”

Me: “$14, please.”

Customer: “Ugh, no, how much EXACTLY do I owe?”

Me: “Um, the total is $14 even, ma’am.”

Customer: “No! I want to know the EXACT total, right to the penny! Stop rounding it up or down. I’m on a tight budget and I need to know the exact amount. I’d like to pay in exact change.”

Me: “I’m sorry, you misunderstood. Your exact total IS $14… an even, round $14.”

Customer: “Look, get me your manager, please.”

Me: “Okay, I’ll call her up.”

(I call my manager on the intercom and she comes right up.)

Manager: “Yes? What’s the problem?”

Me: “Well, this lady here—”

Customer: “NO! THIS lady here is trying to scam me out of money. She keeps rounding up my total so she can keep the change!”

Manager: *to me* “Is this true?”

Me: “No, her total is exactly $14. That’s what I told her. Here, look at my screen display…”

(My manager looks, and sure enough the total is $14 even.)

Manager: “Well, ma’am, I know it’s rare but it does happen that sometimes with the right combination of items we get a nice, even total like this one. But you do owe us $14. She isn’t rounding it up. Here, just look at the price display screen.”

Customer: “BULLS***! This is ridiculous! No total is ever an even amount! I demand that you fix this immediately! Re-scan everything yourself! This little b**** rounded up my total!”

Manager: “Okay, first, don’t insult my employees. Second, you are agitating my other customers with your language. There are young children close by. Third, I will gladly re-scan everything for you, and after I do, I expect you to pay the $14 that you owe us or leave my store with nothing.”

Customer: “Just scan my s***. D*** son of a b****, I’ll use whatever language I want in the f***ing store. These kids hear worst language at home when their parents are f***ing!”

(The manager voids the transaction and re-enters each item as he goes. He hands the customer a pen and paper and has her write down each amount as he goes. He then gives her a calculator to figure out the tax and they add it all up. It comes to exactly $14.)

Customer: “Well, I don’t know what you did, but this still can’t be right. No amount at any store anywhere EVER comes to an exact amount. You guys are scammers!”

(The customer pays and leaves. Unbelievably, the next customer in line had a total of $7.77. He saw it as a sign of good luck and tipped me a toonie!)


Did you find this story using our Lucky Penny roundup?

Click here to get back to it!

Click here to see the next story!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!