Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Abroadly Lying

| Right | February 21, 2015

(I work in a cancellations department for a high end TV provider. On a day where I’ve had decent customers, I get one who has a discounted service and the following happens:)

Me: “You’re through to [cancellations]. How can I help?”

Customer: “Hi, there. I need to cancel my account. I’m moving abroad.”

Me: “No worries. Your account will cancel in 31 days and you will pay one last bill.”

Customer: “Wait, why didn’t you offer me a discount to stay?”

Me: “Because you can’t take your service abroad with you.”

Customer: “My friend said if I try to cancel you’ll give me a discount.”

Me: “Well, your friend was wrong. We can’t transmit the service outside the UK.”

Customer: “But I want one!”

Me: “Are you moving out of the UK?”

Customer: “No. I lied. Can I have my discount, please?”

Me: “We are a business, not a charity. We provide a service that you pay for. That doesn’t make you entitled to a discount. Plus you’re getting 75% off your package so you’re not getting another discount.”

Customer: “I will go to [Competitor] if you don’t make it cheaper than what I’m paying for the same service.”

Me: “They aren’t available in your area and you’re currently tied to a contract.”

Customer: *screams and hangs up*

(Cheeky cancellation save!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!