Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

About To Get Himself Booked

| Right | February 26, 2014

(We WERE a specialty bookstore but have gone the way of many others and are liquidating stock, with the only thing not discounted being rare or signed editions in a locked glass cabinet. Whilst most books are massively discounted, we also have a basket of books with minor shelf damage with a sign that states they are damaged and therefore customers are welcome to take a free one with any purchase. A customer approaches with a handful of them.)

Customer: “I’d like a discount on these. They’re damaged.”

Me: “Well, everything’s pretty much discounted. It doesn’t get much cheaper than $1 a book. Even so, they’re free if you purchase another item.”

Customer: “So, all the damaged books are free?”

Me: “Yes, if you purchase another book with them.”

Customer: “I’ll be right back.”

(He leaves his stack on the counter and I help other customers when I notice a cracking sound. He triumphantly returns to the counter, shoving other customers out of the way saying he was there first. I look over his shoulder to see he’s broken the latch on the rare book display to force it open as he slams a leather bound book signed by Neil Gaiman AND Terry Pratchett on the counter, cracking the hardcover.)

Customer: “All the damaged books are free, right?”

(You really don’t want to know what some of the other customers did…)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!