Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Very Localised Delusion

, , , , | Right | August 18, 2021

I worked at a locally owned grocery store for several years. While I was stocking in the front of the store, a customer I didn’t recognize walked in. The following conversation happened as I continued stocking. 

Me: “How are you today?”

Customer: “I’m okay. I do have a question, though.”

Me: “Okay, what can I help you with?”

Customer: “My son put in an application, and I think you should hire him, but [General Manager] won’t because he’s not from Chicago.”

She used the manager’s actual name. The general manager didn’t hire new employees; he hired the managers that hired them. Also, we are in a town at the opposite end of the state.

Me: “Well, we do keep applications on file. And I think we’re only hiring for the bakery right now. Do you know what department he applied for?”

Customer: “It doesn’t really matter because I know [General Manager] won’t hire him anyway. [General Manager] only hires people from Chicago because that’s where they are from.”

Me: “Well, [General Manager] doesn’t really do most of the hiring; it’s the other managers here that hire for their departments. Also, I don’t think that where someone is from is a priority when we hire people here.”

Customer: “Yeah, I bet you’re from Chicago, too. [General Manager] never hires local people!”

Me: “No, I’m from the area.”

Customer: “I bet you just say that because you came here to go to the university.”

Me: “Not that it’s really your business, but I was born in [Neighboring Town]’s hospital and raised in [Local Nickname For Rural Area ten miles south of the store].”

Customer: “Well, I know [General Manager] never hires local people! And I’ve never heard of [Local Nickname For Rural Area].”

Me: “It’s between here and the town just south of here.”

Customer: “I think that [General Manager] should hire my son!” *Walks away*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!