Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Verbal Disagreement

, , , , | Working | May 9, 2018

(My youngest daughter is autistic, and nonverbal. She’s over 18, but I have power of attorney. Because it gives her better coverage, she is on her father’s — my ex husband’s — insurance plan, which I am not on. Invariably, whenever I have to try to do anything with her insurance, I have some trouble, but this last time was the worst of all.)

Representative: “Hello. How may I help you?”

Me: “Hi, I’m calling about policy [number] on behalf of my daughter, [Daughter], whose birthday is [date]. I’m [My Name], and if you look at her file, you’ll see I have power of attorney to handle her coverage.”

Representative: “I see. Are you the policy holder?”

Me: “No. My ex-husband is the policy holder, but I have power of attorney to handle my daughter’s policy, as well.”

Representative: “Hmm… Can your daughter confirm that with me? Just put her on the phone and have her give me her name and birthday.”

Me: “No, I can’t do that. If you look at the note on her file, I have power of attorney because she’s nonverbal. She is literally incapable of speaking with you.”

Representative: “Ma’am, if you’re not the policyholder, and you can’t get me her permission, I can’t help you.”

Me: “You already have permission in the form of power of attorney; it’s in her file. Are you looking at her file?”

Representative: “Ma’am, I can’t do anything for you or for her without her permission.”

Me: “She is not capable of giving it over the phone. She is nonverbal. That is why I went to a judge, and was granted a notarized power of attorney, which I then sent to your company to have filed with her records. You have access to that file; if you’ve entered in the information I’ve given you, you can see that. Do you need me to repeat any part of our information?”

Representative: “Ma’am, your daughter is a legal adult. I need her consent before I can speak to you.”

Me: “May I please speak to your supervisor?”

Representative: “Ma’am, you are attempting to access information about a policy that you have no right to. I have no obligation to continue this call.”

Me: “Will you listen to me—”

Representative: *hangs up*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!