Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Uniquely Booklover’s Problem

, , , , | Right | July 21, 2022

I like to shop in thrift stores and search for rare things or bargains. I especially love to buy books.

A couple of years ago, I visited a thrift store close to my home, run by the local church. I found so many fantastic books that I had to go get a shopping cart as I couldn’t possibly fit all my amazing finds in a basket.

It was fairly empty in the store, and as the staff packed the books in four bags, they were clearly a little worried.

I was a regular, and they had clearly spotted me in the neighbourhood. They were worried about how I would be able to carry everything home. It’s just a five-minute walk, but with four loaded book bags, that would be quite challenging. So, the lovely people at the checkout offered to drive me home.

Me: “Oh, thank you so much for your kind offer! I’m planning to take a cab home; I agree that it would be impossible to carry all these bags home.”

I loaded the bags into the cart and walked outside, where I unloaded the cart and called for a cab. One of the cashiers followed after me and retrieved the cart.

Me: “Oh, I was going to return that.”

Cashier: “You don’t need to. It’s such a slow day, I can do it.”

So, I sat down and waited for the cab, instead. For a whole minute.

But it is a sign that you might have shopped a little more than you really should when the staff offers to drive you home.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!