Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Store Is A Store Is A Store

, , , | Right | September 8, 2021

I work in the electric department, so I pretty much sell everything from PVC glands to solar systems. We have another major retailer in my country that sells food items in bulk that we aren’t associated with in any way; the only thing we do have in common is the fact that we both offer membership cards.

A young client comes in trying to purchase solar panels.

Me: “Do you have an account with us?”

Customer: “Yes, it’s [account number].”

I can’t find the account with the number he has provided. He then presents me with identification documents.

Customer: “This is my mother; I’m shopping for her on her account.”

Me: “I’m afraid you don’t have the right documentation to purchase on her behalf.”

He gets slightly annoyed with the fact that I refuse to even look for the account until he returns with his mother or the documents. A while later, both return, clearly irritated with the inconvenience. I inquire about the details of her account when she presents me with the above-mentioned retailer’s store card.

Me: *Calmly* “Sorry, ma’am, but I won’t be able to assist you as we don’t associate with [Other Retailer].”

Customer’s Mother: “WHY NOT?!”

At first, I think she’s joking, but then she explains:

Customer’s Mother: “I’ll just pay them and you’ll receive your payment from them!”

I tried my absolute best not to cry out of frustration after four separate attempts trying to explain that that’s just not how stores work.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!