Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Smoking Debate

| Right | January 17, 2013

(We card everyone who looks under 40 for cigarettes and alcohol. A customer comes up, who looks to be about mid-20s.)

Me: “Hi ma’am! How can I help you today?”

Customer: “I need a pack of [brand].”

(I grab the cigarettes, and keep them next to me on the counter.)

Me: “Alright, I need to see your ID, please.”

Customer: “What the f***?! Just give me the d*** cigarettes. I’m over 18.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but I can’t sell you them without seeing your ID.”

Customer: “Just give me the cigarettes. I’m in a hurry.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am; I can lose my job or worse if I don’t ID you. Please… we can get through this much quicker if you give me your ID.”

Customer: “F*** you, you b****! I want my cigarettes! I come in here all the time and have never been carded before! I demand to speak your manager!”

(I call my manager up to the front. He’s not much older than I am, and Hispanic.)

Manager: “What seems to be the problem?”

Customer: “This stupid b****, who probably isn’t even old enough to sell cigarettes, won’t give me mine!”

Manager: *to me* “What does she mean?”

Me: “I asked for her ID since she looks under 40, and she refused. So, I tried to tell her—”

Customer: “You lying b****! You never asked for my ID!”

Me: “I asked for it several times, ma’am.”

Customer: “I want my cigarettes for free!”

Manager: “I can’t do that ma’am, and I’m almost positive she asked for your ID.”

Customer: “F*** you, you f***ing immigrant! I come in here all the time!”

(She continues like this for a while. My manager and I are both completely stunned.)

Manager: “I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

Customer: “You can’t make me!”

(She starts screaming and shaking the register. Panicked, I call the police. While waiting for them she starts to go around the store knocking things off shelves. As soon as the sirens are in the distance, she runs out of the store. Thankfully after my manager and I deal with the police report, he gave paid vacation time.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!