Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Sign You’re One Of The Good Ones

, , , , , | Right | August 30, 2018

(We’ve had a new gas station open recently that is between two cities, so it gets a lot of traffic. I have stopped there for the first time since it opened two months ago.)

Cashier: “Paying with card? Our chip reader doesn’t work, so you’ll have to insert your card three times, and then swipe.”

Me: “Yikes, I bet you get a lot of complaints about that.”

Cashier: “We do. We’re used to it by now. What’s worse is they sent us replacement card readers, and the chips were broken in them, as well.”

Me: “Are they going to send you any more of them soon?”

Cashier: “We hope so.”

(Two weeks later, I go in, and there is a note taped to the reader, explaining how to use it. There is a guy in front of me trying to use it, but he is getting frustrated; he jerks his card out, swipes, then puts it back in over and over.)

Cashier: “Sir, you have to insert it three times, and then swipe when it gives you the prompt.”

Guy: “I know what I’m doing. I have the chip. It’s supposed to read the chip!” *inserts, gets error, then swipes card* “Why is this stupid thing not working? I don’t have any cash on me! You should fix these stupid things.”

Me: “They sent new ones, but those were broken, as well. Any word on the newer ones yet?”

Cashier: “Nothing yet. Sir, do you want me to do it for you?”

Guy: “I can do this!”

(The second register gets opened, since the line is growing now, and I go to that register, instead.)

Me: “Hmm, got an error. The sign says to reinsert card a second time. Hmm, got a second error, I’ll reinsert card a third time, like the sign says. Okay, I got my third error, and now it says to swipe the card.” *sure enough, it goes through, and I’m given my receipt* “Thank goodness they put a sign beside the card reader telling me how to check out!”

(The next time I went in and my cashier friend was there, she told me the guy went red in the face and had no problem getting his card to read after that.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!