Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Plain Attempt At A Scam

, , , , | Right | March 25, 2021

A lady comes stomping in, already looking angry.

Me: “Hi, how can I—”

Customer: “I want a plain hamburger. Get it? Plain, nothing on it. Burger, bun, that’s it. Can you handle that?”

I plaster on my best Customer Service Smile™.

Me: “Yes, indeed. That is one plain burger, nothing on it. Do you want a combo with that or just—”

Customer: “Ah, ah, ah! I said I wanted just a hamburger. No extras!”

Me: “All right. One hamburger, nothing else, will be [price].”

She reaches into her purse and pulls out the exact change for the burger, with tax. After I put that in and hand her her receipt, she keeps standing there, looking at me.

Me: “Was there anything else?”

Customer: “Uh, my cup?

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry. Here you go.”

I hand her a water cup, which she looks at like it is a giant slug.

Customer: “I need my cup for soda.”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry. You asked for only a burger. A drink would be [extra price], or [second price] with fries for a combo.”

Customer: *Practically bellowing* “Of course, I want soda and fries! Give me my cup!”

Me: “Okay, that will just be [second price].”

Thanks to so many people doing this sort of thing, our manager has a special program in the register that can put through fries and a drink at the “combo” price without us needing to refund the burger or do something fancy. It helps that we only have one soda and fry size.

Customer: *Still yelling* “Why would I pay for your mistake?! Give me my cup!”

My manager walks over from where he’s been handling shakes for a different order.

Manager: “Ma’am, I’m sorry for the confusion, but I heard you ask for just a burger. If you want the combo, you will need to pay the extra cost.”

She continued to glare at us for a few moments before reaching into her purse and pulling out the exact change, again, for the extra amount that the fries and soda cost, plus tax. I processed it, handed her the cup, and she stomped over the soda fountain. Given how quickly she was able to produce the exact change, I personally think that this was a deliberate attempt at a scam on her part.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!