Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Penny For Your Thoughts. Seriously, Use Your Brain!

, , , , , | Working | April 23, 2020

(In Canada, we have not used the penny since 2013. Totals are either rounded up or down. For example: $1.52 would round to $1.50, while $1.54 would round to $1.55. Credit cards still use the penny.)

Me: “Hi. I’d like to buy these and pay with the store credit I have.”

Worker: “Okay. Your total comes to $45.20. The store credit is $45.19, so your new total is $0.01.”

Me: *expectant pause* “So, can I get my receipt, then?”

Worker: “No. You still owe one cent.”

Me: “Well, yeah. But that’s a penny. I literally can’t pay you that.”

Worker: “If you don’t pay, my till will be off. You have to pay one cent.”

Me: “Okay, fine. Then I guess I have to put the penny on my credit card.”

Worker: “You can’t. Because of the store credit, I processed the transaction as cash. You have to pay in cash.”

Me: “I don’t understand what you want me to do. I can’t give you one cent. The lowest coin I have is $1, but then you owe me $0.99, which you can’t do, either.”

Worker: *light-bulb moment* “I think I’d better call the manager.”

(The manager arrived and quickly overrode the message, handing me my receipt so I could go. I’m still not sure how the worker expected me to find currency that we haven’t used for almost seven years.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!