Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Nasty Mood Swing

| Right | July 27, 2013

(I am a cashier at a home improvement store. A customer comes to my register pushing a cart with several heavy items in it.)

Me: “Hi there, how are you today?”

Customer: “Oh, just fine, thank you!”

(We make small talk as I ring the customer up. She has been perfectly nice so far.)

Me: “Do you want a hand loading your stuff?”

Customer: “Yes, thank you. It was hard to get these in the cart!”

Me: “Sure thing! I’ll page for one of the loaders. He’ll be right over.”

(As I finish running the customer’s credit card through and hand her the receipt, she says something, but she mumbles and I don’t quite hear her.)

Me: “Sorry, say again?”

(The customer’s demeanor instantly changes from pleasant to furious.)

Customer: “I SAID, Should I wait for the loading man HERE? Or I should I go and wait by the DOOR?”

(I’m baffled by the mood swing, but I smile and put on my best cheerful voice.)

Me: “Oh, it doesn’t matter! He’ll be here in just a minute and there’s no line, so you can wait right here if you don’t want to push the cart over to the door.”

Customer: “Did I do something to you? Have I insulted you or your family?”

Me: “Not… that I’m aware of…?”

Customer: “I just asked a question and you’re being so NASTY to me! I don’t know why you had to be so rude just to answer my question!”

Me: “I’m not being rude. I’m being matter-of-fact. It doesn’t matter if you wait right here or if you wait by the—”

Customer: “You are so NASTY!”

(The loading guy appears.)

Loading Guy: “Can I help you, ma’am?”

Customer: “Yes! You can take my things to my car and get me AWAY from this girl! She is so NASTY, I don’t know how you stand her!”

(The loading guy shoots me a bewildered look, and walks out with the customer, who is still shouting about how nasty I am. He comes back in a couple minutes later.)

Loading Guy: “What the f*** was that?”

Me: “H*** if I know. I’m so glad I’m off tomorrow.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!