Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Most Unreceptive Receptionist, Part 20

, , , , , | Working | August 22, 2022

My gynecologist’s office is terrible at keeping track of appointments. Here’s how I found out about that.

It is one of those offices where, if you have an appointment at 10:00, you’ll be seen by 11:00 if you’re lucky. That alone is annoying, and I try to get the earliest appointments possible to avoid the backlog. I stick with the office because the doctor is very nice.

In an attempt to save paper, I started not taking the “Your next appointment” reminder cards with me but instead just wrote down the time I was told. (There is no reminder call on these frequent appointments.)

Once, I went there a few minutes past 10:00, as my appointment was at 10:15. 

Me: “I’m here for my appointment, for [Last Name].”

Receptionist #1: *Annoyed* “Well, you are quite late.”

I was confused because, yes, I only had a few minutes left, but normally, I had to wait for at least half an hour if not longer, anyway.

Me: “I have the appointment at 10:15.”

Receptionist #1: “No, your appointment was at 10:00. The 10:15 slot already has a different patient in it.”

Given the fact that a regular appointment here always took longer than fifteen minutes, I suddenly realised why everyone always has to wait so long.

Now, I was annoyed. 

Me: “I was told 10:15.”

Receptionist #1: “No, the appointment was at 10:00.”

Had the actual time been 11:00, I might have blamed myself for mixing it up, but I am pretty certain I would not randomly add an odd fifteen minutes to such an easy time as 10:00. However, the receptionist didn’t even consider that it could have been a misunderstanding or a mistake on their side. She was absolutely certain that it was my fault. Luckily, I still got to be seen that day; however, I was told it might take longer. I even heard her tell the doctor they had to move slots because I “didn’t keep my appointment”.

From that day on, I ALWAYS took the little “Your next appointment” reminder card with me.

Fast forward a while. I had another one of my semi-annual appointments. In a sudden moment of caution, I packed the card with my appointment time and headed there. This time, there was a different (much nicer) receptionist.

Me: “I have an appointment at [time] for [Last Name].”

The receptionist checked the computer.

Receptionist #2: “I don’t see that here.”

Me: “Oh, but it is definitely now, look!”

I handed over the reminder card.

Receptionist #2: “Huh, now that’s odd!”

Me: “Well, I don’t know what to say. That’s the time I was given.”

Receptionist #2: “No, absolutely, the card proves it! Go on into the waiting room. I’ll settle this.”

I was also seen that day, but it would probably have been much less pleasant if I hadn’t had proof. I don’t know if their computer system sucks or if someone is just rubbish at entering appointments. Keep your cards, kids!

Related:
A Most Unreceptive Receptionist, Part 19
A Most Unreceptive Receptionist, Part 18
A Most Unreceptive Receptionist, Part 17
A Most Unreceptive Receptionist, Part 16
A Most Unreceptive Receptionist, Part 15

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!