Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Miscarriage Of Justice

| Working | November 28, 2016

(During our busiest season of the year at the studio I manage, I faint – and when being treated at the hospital, find out to my surprise and delight that I am pregnant. At that point, my husband and I have been trying for almost three years. However, I am quite ill, and suspect I am having a miscarriage. After a week of daily blood draws, I get the bad news on a Friday evening — it is confirmed that the pregnancy is not viable. I immediately called my district manager to let her know I can’t work that weekend.)

Me: “I just got a call from my doctor, and I am having a miscarriage. I’m closing the studio tonight, and won’t be in to work at all tomorrow.”

District Manager: “You can’t do that! It’s Christmas season, and every employee is required to be present at all scheduled shifts. I’m not authorizing any time off for anyone no matter what the reason! Everyone in this company is working every day we’re open!”

Me: “Did you not hear what I said? I’ve just found out that the baby I’ve been dreaming of having for years is dead. I’m not dealing well with that, I’m physically ill, and I won’t be in to work tomorrow. My staff can handle the scheduled photo shoots.”

District Manager: “You WILL be in to work tomorrow or you will NOT have a job.”

Me: “Whatever. I’ll be in if I can.”

(I go home, and spend the night and the next morning doubled over, sobbing, and going through the physical pain of a miscarriage. I finally manage to get myself to work around noon, since it really is a busy season and I know that my staff need the backup. I walk in, holding myself together. My employee hugs me and says, “I don’t even want you to see this but you need to” and hands me a fax from the DM.)

District Manager: “I’m so excited! I closed on my dream house, and I’m taking the next 10 days off to move. Nobody call me! :D”

(Oddly enough, I was then unmotivated to continue in that company’s employ. Not too long after, I went to work for their direct competitor, and brought all of my clients with me!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!