Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Listening Ear Can Switch Gear

| Right | April 9, 2014

(I am a security guard for a company unaffiliated with the business I provide security for. I literally sit in a shack and sign reps from other companies in and out of the complex. I am way over-qualified for this position, but it is perfect for going to school.)

Me: “Morning, sir. What brings you to [Company]?”

Customer: “MY DAD DIED TWO YEARS AGO AND THEY WON’T TRANSFER THE OWNERSHIP OF THE BILLS TO ME!”

Me: “Okay, sir. Here is where you have to go.” *gives site name directions and what to do and say*

Customer: “Ugh! YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THAT I DROVE TWO HOURS TO THIS LOCATION JUST TO BE TOLD THAT I’M WRONG!?”

Me: “Yup.”

Customer: “WELL, WHAT HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE IN THE WORLD!? I WANT YOU TO TRANSFER MY BILLS TO ME!”

Me: “Not my problem, sir. I don’t work for [Company]. I just provide security from customers like you.”

Customer: “GAH! *slams his sports car into reverse and leaves pretty thick black lines in the concrete* “D*** IT!”

(Hours later, the guy came back with coffee and some sandwiches, parked in front of the shack, apologized profusely, and told me about recent events: cheating wife, ungrateful daughter, and a recent suicide by his mother. I listened and give him my number and told him to call whenever he needed a friendly ear. He calls once a month.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!