Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Layaway Payaway

| Right | December 19, 2014

(I worked the service desk of a popular chain toy store that offers layaway last Christmas. One night a lady comes up to speak with my coworker.)

Coworker: “Welcome to [Toy Store]. How can I help you this evening?”

Customer: “Hi, I’m sure this sounds unusual, but I was wondering if I could pay off a layaway?”

Coworker: *not seeing why this is unusual* “Sure, do you have the layaway number or the name it’s under?”

Customer: “No, I mean a random one, someone who hasn’t paid theirs off yet. I’d like to pay it for them anonymously.”

(This is within two days of the final pickup day for layaway.)

Coworker: *to me* “Uh, do you know if this is allowed?”

Me: “I’m not sure. Let me call the manager and find out how this would work.”

(I spoke with the manager on duty and he was able to pull up a random account and allowed the woman to pay it off. Later he called the family to let them know their Christmas presents were completely paid for and they could come pick them up. My coworker and I were amazed that this lady would do this for a complete stranger and were in a great mood for the rest of our shift.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!