Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Lack Of Information Into How The World Works

, , , | Right | January 23, 2020

(I work as a surgery scheduler. My office is near the check-in and I hear this go down:)

Check-In: “Good morning! Who are you scheduled to see?”

Patient: “[Doctor].”

Check-In: “All righty, then, and what’s your name?”

Patient: “…”

(I work in an office that deals with ear issues, so the office is used to patients who are hard of hearing.)

Check-In: “Sir?”

Patient: “Hmm?”

Check-In: “What’s your name?”

Patient: “None of your business.”

Check-In: “Sir, I need your name in order to check you in.”

Patient: “I said it’s none of your business!”

Check-In: “Sir, I need your name or I can’t let the doctor know you’re here.”

Patient: “The doctor knows who I am!”

Check-In: “Sir, you’re a new patient to us, so the doctor won’t know who you are. I need to know who you are. Do you have your insurance card?”

Patient: “Yes, I do.”

Check-In: “Okay, can I have your insurance card, please?”

Patient: *growing more aggravated* “No!”

Check-In: “Sir, if I can’t check you in, the doctor can’t see you.”

(Now the patient is furious. I pop my head out of my office and see this grown man stomp his foot and throw his hands in the air. The entire office is silent now.)

Patient: “What kind of doctor’s office is this? You people all want my information and you can’t have it! It’s none of your business! You have all my information in your little computer! I’m not giving you my information so you can take my identity!”

Check-In: “Sir, that’s not why I need your information. I just want to let the doctor know you’re here for your appointment.”

Patient: “Forget it! Screw all of you! You’re what’s wrong with America!” *stomps out of the office* 

(The check-in gent and I shared a look before going back to work.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!