Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Knowing Personality

| Right | January 31, 2013

(I’m showing a couple our knife sets demonstrating the difference between each brand.)

Me: “So, if you happen to be a rocker, that is someone who keeps a part of the blade in contact with the cutting board at all times, then you’ll want this type. If, however, you’re a chopper, who lifts the blade completely off the board, then you might find these a better fit since they have a shallower curve on the blade.”

Lady: “Right, well actually he-” *points to her companion* “-is the one who’s going to be using them, so why don’t I leave you two to it, and look for the rest of the stuff on my list?”

Man: “Sounds good.” *turns to me* “Hey, you got anything heavier? I like putting power into my chopping.”

(I show him several additional knives, speaking about the differences in handle shapes and steel grade when he interrupts me.)

Man: “Oh, and you do know that if these knives turn out to be cheap sh**, I’m going to have to come back here and have some very stern words with you.”

Me: *taken aback* “Sir, these are made to the highest specifications of German craftsmanship. Says so right there on the blade.” *I gesture to the ‘Made In Germany’ stamp* “The ones in the cabinet next to me come from Japan, and are made using the same ore and techniques as samurai swords. If you’re going to honestly come back and tell me steel of this caliber is, to use your own words, cheap s***, then I have only three words to say to you: bring it on!”

(The man stares at me, looking not so much offended as bemused. He then proceeds to tip his hat to me in respect.)

Man: “I see you clearly do know your stuff. Please forgive me for doubting you.” *looks around for his girlfriend* “Are you as knowledgeable about the other products in this store?”

Me: “Every one of them.”

(He spies his girlfriend who’s speaking to another associate.)

Man: “Honey come back here, we’re going with this guy! He’s got the know, and the personality!”

(They proceed to do their entire order with me, and the man even insists on shaking my hand afterward saying he’s glad to have found someone with confidence in what they sell. Definitely among my best customers ever!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!