Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Flabbergasting For Everyone

, , , , | Working | May 6, 2020

It’s the Monday after many schools have decided to close for an extra week or more due to a recent outbreak of an illness. Minnesota schools will officially close on Wednesday, but parents have the option to keep them out Monday and Tuesday, as well.

Our store hasn’t closed yet, but we’re taking more precautions with health and sanitation, etc, and corporate is keeping an eye on developments across the nation. Our sales run on a cycle, and those cycles really only change around major holidays, like Christmas. I’ve been talking to my coworker about some family news after I’ve rung up a customer, and I’m about to head back to my project.

Customer: “Hi. Weird question. I don’t want to sound like a snot about it, but why aren’t your kids’ craft projects on sale? Schools are being closed and kids are going to be stuck at home. I’m just flabbergasted. I know it’s not your fault, but…”

She continues talking and I keep walking away. Another coworker, who taught for a time and then changed jobs, walks past me.

Coworker #2: *Laughing* “Flabbergasted? She’s ‘flabbergasted’?”

Me: “Yeah, she’s upset that kids’ crafts aren’t on sale with the school closures.”

Coworker #2: “Oh, my gosh. Really? I didn’t hear that part of the conversation.”

I mentioned it to another coworker — who has children herself — later in the day and we just rolled our eyes. I doubt corporate is going to change an ad just because schools are closing for a health outbreak. Sorry.

I’m glad my coworker handled the conversation, because I might not have been as kind as I should have been about it or might have said something to make her even more annoyed.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!