Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Fair Degree Of Encouragement

, , | Hopeless | October 6, 2016

(I have put in my two weeks’ notice, as I am transferring colleges. My coworkers aren’t exactly supportive of this decision, as they think “no one needs a degree.” I am working a register when another coworker runs up to me…)

Coworker: “YOU RESIGNED?!”

Me: “Yup.

Coworker: “WHY?!”

Me: “Well, I’m transferring to [College], as they have a better program for the degree I want to get—”

Coworker: “You don’t need a degree! [Grocery Store] is a great company to work for, and they don’t require a degree!”

Me: “See, that’s the thing. I don’t want to work here forever.”

Coworker: “It’s a steady job! You’re not even guaranteed to find a job after you graduate! You’re crazy to throw this away.” *walks away*

(I roll my eyes and sigh, as I’ve had similar conversations with multiple coworkers in the last week. An older gentleman walks up to my register.)

Customer: “I couldn’t help overhearing. You are transferring to [College]?”

Me: “Yes, I am!”

Customer: “I graduated from there. So did my kids. You’ve made a good choice. You won’t have any problems finding a job after graduation.”

Me: “Thank you, sir!”

Customer: *leans in and whispers* “Don’t worry about what other people think. At the end of the day, you get to leave.” *shakes my hand* “Good luck, young lady.” *walks out*

(Two years later, I graduated with honors. I found employment in my degree field just a couple months after graduating. Thank you, nameless customer, for taking time out of your day to give me some encouragement.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!