Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Continuous Sauce Of Stress, Part 2

| Right | September 11, 2014

(I work in a restaurant where we make the majority of our food in-house, down to dressings and sauces. The menu says in at least two places that extra sauces are available for 50 cents. Three women sit at my table.)

Woman #1: “I want to try a couple of these sauces.” *indicating our buffalo style sauces*

Me: “Well, ma’am, we generally don’t do that. I may have to charge you 50 cents”

Woman #1: “We’ve done it before. And I need some celery to dip in the sauces.”

(Rather than putting up a fight I bring her two sauces and a couple of sticks of celery. Woman #1 gets 10 wings in one of the sauces she tried. When the wings come out…)

Woman #1: “I need some extra sauce for my wings.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, that’s 50 cents extra. Is that okay?”

Woman #1: “It’s not extra cause I don’t have enough sauce on my wings.”

Me: “I’m sorry that you feel the kitchen didn’t give you enough, but I’ll have to charge you 50 cents to get you more.”

Woman #2: “That’s bad customer service! The customer is always right!”

Me: “Ma’am, I apologize but I’m just doing my job the way I was taught to do it, and the menu says that extra sauces cost extra.”

Woman #1: “Bring me the manager!”

(My manager visits the table, offers to re-toss her wings in the kitchen but she just insists on having extra sauce brought to her without wanting to pay. My manager brings her half of a ramekin of sauce as a compromise but tells me that anything else they order will be extra. The women are grumpy for the rest of their meal and request a to go box toward the end.)

Woman #2: *holding her ramekin of blue cheese dressing* “I need another container.”

Me: “An empty container?”

Woman #2: “No, with extra blue cheese.”

Me: “That’ll be 50 cents. Is that okay?”

Woman #2: “No! Its not like I want extra because I ate it all. I just want extra to go!”

Me: “I’m sorry; ma’am, but extra dressings are 50 cents…”

(She turned it down and their checks did not include any extra dressing charges. The women berated me more anyway, asked me if I was new, and asked where the ‘other girl’ they had before was. The girl they described to me had actually been recently fired. One lady asked for change for a dollar, which I gave her, and left two quarters on the table with a note that said ‘Customer service goes toward your tip. Here’s your 50 cents.’ Sorry, giving out free stuff isn’t part of my job, lady!)

 

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!