Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

A Christmas Gift Of Having A Christmas

, , , , , | Hopeless | December 25, 2018

(At the end of last year, I left my job. I was suffering with severe anxiety and depression and that, along with a hostile work environment, was affecting my mental health and my work to the point I was having breakdowns every week and I just couldn’t take it any longer. I got a monthly allowance from my mother but it wasn’t a lot, and in November I accidentally went into my overdraft by a few pounds. Unfortunately, my bank charges £8 per day that the overdraft isn’t paid, and I was unable to pay for nearly ten days. When my dad gives me £100 as an early Christmas present at the start of December, nearly £80 is taken out immediately to pay my debt. I call up the bank and this happens.)

Customer Service Representative: “[Bank], how can I help?”

Me: “I’m very sorry to do this, but I just checked my bank account and all my overdraft fees were charged at once, leaving me with less than £30 for the next month. Would I be able to get it back, and pay in increments instead over the next few months?”

Customer Service Representative: “Well, we don’t usually do that, but I’ll see how I can help. Do you need the money urgently for something?”

Me: “My dad gave me £100 as an early Christmas present and I was planning to use it to buy some presents for my family. I’ve been struggling financially in recent months and–”

(To my embarrassment, I start to cry. I’m trying to hide it, but the rep must have heard me, because his voice gets a lot gentler and kinder.)

Customer Service Representative: “Let’s go through your monthly spending and see what we can figure out, okay?”

(He asks me questions like how much my rent is, do I go out drinking, do I order takeaway or eat out often, and so on. I answer no to all of them, because I’m spending all my money on rent, travel, and medication, with barely enough left over to buy food.)

Customer Service Representative: “I’ve spoken with my supervisor, and I’m going to wipe your debt.”

Me: “What? No, you don’t need to do that! I can pay it, I promise; I just need until next month…”

Customer Service Representative: “According to your records, you’ve been with us for four years now. You’ve only gone into overdraft once before, and you paid it off immediately. You’re clearly having a hard time right now, and everyone should be able to spend time with their family at Christmas. Think of it as a present from us.”

Me: “Thank you so much! You have no idea how much this means to me;I’m so grateful. Could I have your name, and your supervisor’s name so I can send in some good reports?”

Customer Service Representative: “Of course. It’s [Representative] and [Supervisor]. I’ve disabled overdraft on your account so you won’t get charged again by going into it accidentally. Is there anything else I can do for you today?”

Me: “You’ve done more than enough. Thank you so much!”

(I sent the reports in as soon as we got off the phone, and although I never got a reply, I really hope that they helped the two get a bonus, or some other reward. CSR, if you see this, thank you again.)


This story is part of our Mental Health Awareness roundup!

Read the next Mental Health Awareness roundup story!

Read the Mental Health Awareness roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!