Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #98710

, , , | Unfiltered | October 24, 2017

I am going into my second year at the biggest theme parks in Canada, featuring over 200 attractions. Three of my team leads last year are not returning and my managers are getting desperate. This happens during Ramadan where we lose half our staff because it is dangerous for them to work outside and fast due to the heat warnings.

Manager: (My name) can I talk to you in the back room?

Me: Okay….

Coworker: (gives me thumbs up and whispers) Looks like someone’s getting a promotion.

We get to the back room and the manager closes the door.

Manager: Okay, after much thought and deliberation we would like to promote you to the team lead

Me: Oh (trying to fake enthusiasm)

Manager: Why don’t you look happy

Me: Well…I don’t think I want it

Manager: What?! But you’ll make a dollar more than you do now, you’ll be paid above adult minimum wage (ps. it’s $11.40 in Canada)

Me: Ya but…okay here’s the deal. I have a few reasons why I don’t want to be Team Lead

(I knew they would ask me so my dad and I have been making a list that I could say when I reject them)

Manager: (still in disbelief) Okay, I’m sure I can make a solution to whatever problem you have.

Me: Really? Alright then…last year I would often leave an hour to half an hour after closing, which would be like 12:30-1AM. I do not have my full license and my dad needs to pick me up since the bus back home stops at 11:30. I know that Team Leads stay later and my dad won’t be happy to drive me at such a late hour.

Manager: That wasn’t a big problem last year for the other Team Leads

Me: Team Lead #1 and #2 have a car and full licence, Team Lead #3 lives 5 minutes away and bikes home. I live in (nearby city) and it is half an hour away by car.

Manager: I’m sure we can work it out so you have morning shifts…

I don’t believe them because I have asked for such shifts before and nothing has happened. They save the morning shifts for people living further away then me.

Me: The previous Team Leads always got heck from you guys for not leaving before midnight…

Manager: Okay…we can work on that. Schedule more people….

Me: Alright then, how about the fact that whoever is promoted to Team Lead often gets a lot of animosity towards them

Manager: You’re not here to make friends

Me: Ya but I don’t want enemies. I had problems with a girl last year and half the staff turned against me. I would’ve been fired if I hadn’t made friends who stood up for me and convinced you guys the girl was lying (she was subsequently fired btw)

Manager: (sighs) what else?

Me: I am in summer school right now, meaning I can’t work every Wednesday. One of the rules for being a Team Lead is flexible scheduling.

Manager: But we REALLY need you

Me: Sorry, my mental health and school is more important than $12.40 an hour

Manager: Okay so how about after summer school?

Me: (wants to bang head against wall)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!