Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #97932

, | Unfiltered | October 22, 2017

I’m a manager at a small regional chain of takeout/delivery only pizza parlors. I’m manning the till one night as this exchange happens.

Customer: “Carryout for [customer’s name]”

Me: “Sure thing. One large three topping pizza. Sausage, bacon and black olives.”

Customer: “That’s right.”

(At the till we sell single cans of pop and bottles of water, with the prices clearly marked. Because pop is in higher demand and we sell a lot of it, our supplier gives us a small discount, and it ends up being two cents cheaper per can versus a bottle of water.)

Me: “Would you like to add any drinks to your order?”

Customer: “Sure, let me have 1 Coke, 1 Sprite and a bottle of water.”

Me: “Alright, one large three topping, two cans of pop and a water. Your total comes to $19.72.”

(The transaction has been pleasant up until this point)

(Customer pays and looks at her receipt)

Customer: “You overcharged me for the water! The bottle of water is more expensive than the cans of pop!”

Me: (trying to keep the mood light-hearted) “I know it’s crazy, but we get a small discount from our supplier for the pop, because we sell so much of it, so we can sell it two cents cheaper versus the water.”

Customer: “Are you kidding me!? That is so wrong! Water is a basic human right and not to mention the healthier choice and you’re charging me more for it.”

Me: “I don’t know what to tell you, the markup percentage is the same, so we’re not making any more money on the water than we are the pop.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous! I’m calling the Better Business Bureau! I don’t think what you are doing here is even legal!”

(Customer storms out leaving behind her pizza and drinks, which she paid for)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!