Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #94375

, | Unfiltered | September 20, 2017

I’m sitting in a restaurant, and the only other occupant is a guy in a suit who hasn’t ordered anything. Instead, he’s reading a book. When I’m halfway done with my meal, a girl a few years young with badly done make-up comes in and nervously makes her way to his booth before speaking in a deep voice.

Girl: Um… Hi?

He looks up from his book and immediately blinks in shock. Slowly, he closes his book and tosses it to the side.

Guy: This isn’t a one-time thing, is it?

The girl says something that I can’t hear. After a moment, the guy points at the booth opposite him, and she settles down. I start to get worried because the guy’s face is completely even.

Guy: So, uh, are you going all the way with this?

Girl: I’m saving up for the surgery, yeah.

Guy: Ah.

There is a long pause before the girl speaks again.

Girl: I wanted to come out to all of you before my family.

Guy: Smart.

He takes a slow breath, and when he speaks, he sounds almost angry.

Guy: This is going to be hard for you. I cannot trans.

Girl: *Quietly.* I’m sorry.

Guy: I cannot at all. I’ve tried, and I can’t wrap my brain around it.

The girl lowers her head, and the guy remains silent for a little bit. I’m afraid that I’m going to have to chase a crying woman out of the restaurant to comfort her when he speaks again.

Guy: So. No trans. You’re a girl now.

The girl’s head snaps up.

Girl: What?

Guy: You heard me. I can’t help you with any trans stuff, and I got to ask that unless someone is threatening you, we don’t talk about it. You’re a girl now. I’ll help you with girl stuff, listen to you complain about sexist guys or catty girls or whatever. Other than that, the only thing different is that you have to put up with me calling you ‘Darlin’.

Girl: *Near tears.* But you said…

Guy: Oh, no! My dude buddy is now a dudette buddy! I can handle you being a girl, but I can’t figure out the… in between stage. You’re my friend, and you’re going to need someone who’ll treat you like the woman you are, not the dude you were that’s becoming a woman. So you’re a woman now, and that’s final.

Girl: Thank you…

Guy: Oh, don’t thank me yet! Dear God, woman! That jewelry! Is that costume jewelry? No. No! None of my lady friends wears that unless it’s on stage. No, we’re getting you some real stuff as soon as we have some cheesecake, do you understand me?

Girl: You don’t…

Guy: Nyet! Nein! Negative! This isn’t up for negotiation! Fight me on this, and I’ll help you with your wardrobe, too! *He calls out to the waitress.* I need two slices of cheesecake over here, stat!

Girl: You’re a jerk.

Guy: We’ve been friends for how many years now, and you’re just now learning this? Now, I think you’re more of a silver girl than a gold girl…

Until the two of them left, I couldn’t help but smile over his antics. By the time that I finished my meal, he was already coming up with the best way to inform some of their friends, warning her that just showing up in makeup wasn’t the best way for a few of them and offering to be there with her for support. While I don’t think that he reacted the best way, the fact that he was so excited about helping her warmed my heart. I only regret not having gotten their bill when I left.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!