Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #93726

, | Unfiltered | September 17, 2017

(I work the reception desk for one of the University’s smaller departments. One day in my first year I get a call from a man trying to meet with an academic adviser. Recently our main adviser left and we’ve been transferring calls to another department that’s helping us out while we hire a new one. This week, well before the semester starts, that adviser is on vacation).
Caller: I need to speak with an adviser.
Me: Certainly. Advisement is being handled by [other department] right now, let me transfer you.
Caller: No, i already called him and they said he wasn’t and didn’t say when he’d be back.
Me: Well then you’ll have to email him.
Caller: i did that, but he hasn’t responded.
(As my father is also an adviser and was a teacher for many years, I start to lose sympathy for this guy who thinks he can just interrupt someone’s vacation).
Me: I apologize, but there’s really nothing more I can do for you. I’m sure [adviser] will get back to you as soon as he’s able.
Caller: Well can you give me his home number so I can get in touch with him?
(I’m so shocked by the lunacy of the request that I don’t even think to respond “no that’s not allowed.”)
Me: I’m sorry I don’t have that information.
Caller: (Now growing irate) You work with him every day and you don’t know his home phone number?
(Still new to this, I freeze up again trying to process everything wrong with what he’s saying).
Me: No.
(The caller hangs up irately. I tell my boss when she gets back and she has a good gripe about how some of these people shouldn’t have even been admitted to the university).

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!