Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #92609

, | Unfiltered | September 3, 2017

A customer approached me, wanting to know the air velocity of a leaf blower we carry. It wasn’t specified on the box, so I turned to the internet. This required walking away from the customer to our information desk. I began keying in the model number when another customer walked up and dropped two heavy bottles of lawn weed counter on the desk hard enough I worried it might break the glass top.

Customer: “I have a question for you.”
Me: Sure, I’ll be right with you, I’m helping that gentleman over there (pointing) with a request, then I’d be happy to answer your question.”
Customer: (looks all around) “Nope, don’t see anybody, so you’re not busy and you’ll answer my question. What’s the dif…”
Me: (cutting in) Sir, I can page someone over here to help you, or I’ll be just a moment. This gentleman was in line first, all I have to do is go give him this information and then I’ll be right back.”
Customer: But…I’m standing right in front of you and there’s nobody else here! Besides, you have glasses!”
Me: Pardon?
Customer: “You have glasses, I left mine in the car and I can’t read these bottles!”
At this juncture I’ve come from behind the desk and am walking over to give the air velocity customer his information. Mr. Impatient doesn’t seem to get that the time he has wasted demanding to be helped first would have more than allowed me to help the other customer, come back, and already be well on my way to helping him. He follows close beside me.
Customer: “Just let me see your glasses for a second.”
Me: “What?”
Customer: “Just let me use them long enough to read the label on this weed killer and I’ll give them right back.”
Me: “Sir, I’m not going to give you my glasses. If you’ll just wait two seconds…”
Customer: “Just gimme the glasses for a second, I’ll give them right back to you I promise!” (he reaches over as we’re walking and makes a swipe at trying to grab my glasses from my head).
Me: (backing up several steps) BACK OFF! DO NOT TOUCH ME SIR! I told you it would be just a moment and I would help you. I even offered to page someone to help you, but I must draw the line at you trying to put your hands on me. If you continue to do so I’ll be forced to defend myself.
The store wasn’t terribly busy, and sound carries, so three or four other customers, plus my original one, have now turned to see what’s going on.
Customer: This is f****n’ bulls**t! You refused to help to me and then you threatened me! I’m going to call the manager and have you fired!
Me: I’ll make it easy for you, I’m the manager.
Customer: Then I’m going to call your…boss…head office, district manager, WHATEVER!
Me: (calmly) Absolutely. The number is (I list number as he punches it into his phone) and here is the extension for the person you need to talk to.

The man storms off, but not before having a heated conversation with our cashier. When he left and I had taken care of my customer, I called our corporate office and relayed what had happened, then approached my cashier.
Me: What did he say on his way out?
Cashier: He said he asked for help reading something and you refused. When he asked again he said you threatened him and then took a swing at him.
Me: So his version is I refused service and went straight to taking a swing? (laughing) I must have really had it in for the guy to go from calm chat to full on bar brawl just like that! All this over a bottle of freaking weed killer? Remind me again why I’m in retail?

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!