Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #91535

, | Unfiltered | August 17, 2017

(It’s three days after Christmas. My in-laws have come to visit bearing gifts for our son, who’s nine months old. Our tree and decorations are still up.)

 

Sister-In-Law: *hands son a bag* “Let’s do this one first!” *she reaches in and shows him a stocking with FIRST CHRISTMAS embroidered on it* “Look! Mimi got you a stocking!”

 

Husband: *irritated* “Mom, why did you do that? I told you that [My Name] crocheted a stocking for him.” *points at the big blue stocking hanging near the tree* “See?”

 

Sister-In-Law: *harrumphs* “Well, how was I supposed to know she made him one?”

 

Father-In-Law: *quickly changing the subject* “Look what Pawpaw got for you.”

 

(He reaches into the bag and pulls out a little horse toy that has a tether attached to its bridle. He presses a button at the end of the tether and the horse starts to walk around and sing very LOUDLY. My son whines and scoots away from it.)

 

Me: *soothingly* “There, there! Pawpaw’s going to put it away now!”

 

(Father-in-Law turns the toy off and goes out to their car and brings in two more presents, one of which isn’t wrapped. It’s a ride-on toy that looks like an airplane from a popular franchise.)

 

Sister-In-Law: “I know he’s not really old enough for it yet but I wanted to get it anyway!”

 

Me: “Thanks, but we really don’t have the space for it.”

 

Sister-In-Law: *scoffs*

 

Husband: *slides the wrapped present to our son* “Oh-kay! Here, [Son], let’s open this one! You like to rip paper!”

 

(My husband tears the corner of the package and our son slowly peels the paper off the gift to reveal…)

 

Me: *slightly annoyed* “Oooooh, another ride-on toy.”

 

Sister-In-Law: *cheerfully* “In another couple of months he’ll start playing with them and you can put them outside on the carport.”

 

(They leave soon after and I rip up the stocking in a rage then throw it in the trash.)

 

Husband: “I’m so sorry she did that. I know I told her that you were making [Son] a stocking.”

 

Me: “I know you did because I was sitting right beside you. And I don’t like that she bought him TWO ride-on toys because you told her no big gifts in the same conversation where you told her that I was making a stocking.”

 

Husband: “I’m just glad you didn’t lose your temper and scream at her.”

 

Me: “Not in front of [Son]. Besides, if she can’t listen, we’ll treat her like a child that doesn’t listen and keep her away from what she wants, which is time with [Son]. We’ll do it to my parents, too, so that they will know that we won’t be pushed around when it comes to our son.”

 

Husband: *laughs* “You know, I was going to suggest the same thing.”

 

(Sadly, my mother-in-law still tries being way too pushy when it comes to our son and has only seen him three times since then. And he does NOT play with the ride-on toys: the sight of the airplane one makes him cry and he has no interest in the other ride on, which looks like a bulldozer. The loud horse still scares him too; it doesn’t have a volume control. They’ll soon be going to Goodwill.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!