Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #87836

, , | Unfiltered | May 31, 2017

I work in a large retail chain in the electronics department. All the new release movies (DVD and Blu-Ray) are stocked on the front endcaps in the middle of the entertainment section, so that they’re blatantly visible upon entering the department. While older movies are scattered around by genre or price and can be tough to find, the new releases are literally right in front of the department and clearly marked on the shelf as such

I’m at the kiosk and the phone rings, it’s a customer asking a question about a tablet trade in, which we don’t handle (that’s done through another department). While I’m explaining this, an older woman already with a scowl on her face walks up. I give her the universal 1 minute finger, mute the phone, and tell her I’ll be with her in a second.

The gentleman on the phone then proceeds to ask several questions about newer tablets, including if other stores in the chain have them in stock, etc. It’s becoming a rather long phone call, but since this is info I do have, and he called first, I’m not simply going to hang up on him.

The woman walks back over at me and glares. “That’s longer than a second!”

I mute the phone, apologize, explain I wasn’t expecting this to be a long phone call and I’ll be with her in just one moment.

As I stand up, I see another customer at the kiosk and begin reaching for my radio to call for backup as I still cant get off the phone.

Woman glares harder. “Are you alone over here?!? Is there someone else who can help me, I’ve been waiting!”

Now already HOLDING the radio, I tell her “give me just a moment” (she glares again) as I call for assistance.

Another employee comes over, who she IGNORES OUTRIGHT to continue to stare daggers at me. My coworker then helps another customer. I finally get off the phone.

Me: “Sorry, I apologize for that, how can I help you?”

Customer: “I’m looking for (newly released movie)” Glare.

Me: On DVD or Blu-Ray?”

Customer muttering “Not Blu-Ray!”

I’m not sure I heard her correctly,so I doublecheck “So you want the DVD then?

“Yes!”

I walk about 10 steps past where she’s been staring daggers at me, get the disc off the very top front of the shelf, turn around and hand it to her with a smile.

“Here you go, have a nice day.”

She looked set to explode.

Had she just looked around for five seconds instead of fuming at me for helping the person who called before she even entered the building, she’d have been out 10 minutes ago.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!