Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #67329

Unfiltered | October 19, 2016

I work for the world’s largest retail store as a cashier in the front.

Me: “Hello, how are you doing today? Did you find everything alright?”

Customer: “Yes, thank you.”

(I see that the customer is purchasing food with WIC and also has several children’s items like clothes and toys)

Me: “Awe, how old is your little one?”

Customer: “Why do you need to know that? I don’t think it’s any of your business.”

Me: *slightly bewildered* “Oh, I’m so sorry, I was just making conversation. I didn’t mean anything by it. I just noticed the items you were purchasing and assumed you had a small child. I’m very sorry if I offended you.”

Customer: “I just don’t think it’s your business. I’m just here to get things for my 4 year old.”

(I’m silent by this point and completely embarrassed. The customer signs her name on a check and hands it to me along with the pen.)

Customer: “I can never sign my name the same way. My handwriting looks terrible today. I just woke up 30 minutes ago.”

Me:*trying to ease some of the tension* “Oh, I know my signature is always terrible. You should have seen me trying to sign my marriage certificate. I was nervous and excited and my hands were so shaky.”

(The customer is silent, so I wish her a good rest of the day and turn to the next customer.)

Customer 2: “What was her problem? Who wakes up at 1:30 pm with a 4 year old kid? What’s he been doing all day while she slept? I’m so sorry that you have to deal with people like that. It’s just crazy.”

Me: “It’s okay. It takes all kinds, right?”

Customer 2: “Oh yeah.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!