Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Assumption Is The Mother Of Prejudice

| Working | April 4, 2014

(I have just gotten a job as a carer for a little girl with cerebral palsy. I work wherever she is, including her home, which means I often work with her parents. Her parents are separated, and so far I’ve only worked at her father’s place, but now I have my first shift with her mother. I find out that she’s a priest, and instantly panic. I’m in a same-sex relationship and I’m afraid she’ll be prejudiced against me, so I make up plans to avoid any questions on the subject.)

Girl’s Mother: “Oh, that’s right, [Girl]. You’re meeting your godmothers next week!”

Me: “Oh, that’s nice! … Wait, godmothers?”

Girl’s Mother: “Well, yes. [Name] and her wife are old friends of the family, so it was only natural that they should be my daughter’s godmothers.” *she gives me a suspicious look* “I hope you don’t have a problem with that?”

(I burst out laughing and told her about my partner and how I’d planned to lie to her to avoid trouble. Turned out that I was the prejudiced one!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!