Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #57171

Unfiltered | May 14, 2017

I’m 23 and have been working for a small touring theatre company, performing anti bullying plays in schools. My co-worker is a 46 year old man and, frankly, a horrible human being. He has persistently asked about my sex life, called me a b**** when I told him to stop, asked me to get him illegal prescription medication, bragged about inappropriately touching women, told me to rest my brain after “using it for once”, driven on bald, split tyres, made me crawl under the car to retrieve the jack and drinks excessively. The director has also inappropriately booked us to share accomodation on business trips, despite the age difference. One night I arrive back at the accomodation and he is completely drunk. He immediately launches into a violent verbal assault against me and how stupid I am for being a church goer which I never discussed with him. I am reduced to tears but he refuses to stop screaming or let me leave the room. This goes on for two hours until I am able to escape the hotel. Two weeks later, while driving, he begins suggesting that I am mentally unstable and scaring his nephew who I only met for ten minutes. He tells me I am emotionally suppressed and goads me into attacking him but I don’t take the bait. I finally decide to report him, even though he and the director are sleeping together. I’m scared, but feel I have no option and she’s always been friendly, so I feel if I present the case gently, she’ll listen)

Director: (very happy to see me) Hi, (my name)! Would you like a coffee?

Me: No thanks, I really can’t stay long. Thanks for meeting with me.

Director: Oh, it’s no trouble. So what did you want to talk about?

Me: Well, there’s something I feel should be brought to your attention. There were a few instances on tour where (co-worker) was verbally abusive towards me –

Director: GET OUT!

Me: What?

(With a maddened look on her face, she jumps to her feet and throws open the office door, all the while screaming “GET OUT! GET OUT!”)

Director: You heard me! BYE!!!

(I stand there calmly and look her in the eyes)

Me: Are you serious?

Director: GET OUT NOW!  I DON’T WANT TO TALK TO YOU!!!!

Me: What did I do?

Director: (screaming louder than ever) GET OUUUUUT!

(I calmly leave the office as I obviously can’t get through to her. She slams the door behind me. I manage to make it back to my car before I begin sobbing. I call my agent who says he’ll take care of it. I don’t ask him to do anythibg specifically, nor do I make any attempt at contacting the director or my co worker. The next day, my phone rings. )

Me: Hello?

Director: Hello, (my name). How are you?

Me: I’m fine (I’m not!). How are you?

Director: Well….I’m not doing too well actually. See when you came in yesterday, I didn’t want you to mention that stuff because I already knew. And you are playing the victim here when you were the perpetrator. It was you.

Me: …..

Director: You are making completely untrue claims! YOU were the cause of everything that went down and it was all your doing. And for you to say you felt “unsafe” is just ridiculous and a lie. And you’re just trying to get to (Co-worker) and you’re trying to ruin our lives!

Me: …

Director: And for YOU TO GET YOUR PERSON (meaning my agent) TO CONTACT ME LIKE THAT IS JUST DISGUSTING AND TERRIBLE AND HOW COULD YOU DO THAT TO US?!? YOU’RE PLAYING THE VICTIM!!!! THE ENVIRONMENT WAS NOT UNSAFE!!!!

Me: ….

Director: I never did anything except try to help you, (my name ).

Me: …..

Director: Are you there?

Me: *click*

(I immediately ring my agent again, who is thoroughly unimpressed with the director. He says to leave it with him. The director tries to call me while I’m talking to my agent. When I don’t answer, she texts me to “Stop making unreal claims” and leave them alone. Again, I don’t respond, but I do report them to the industry union. Thankfully I’ve not heard from the director again but they’ve done their best to make it look like I never worked for them. It’s amazing how an “anti bullying organization” can’t practice what they preach. And the worst part? They have a young daughter together.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!