Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #56863

Unfiltered | June 24, 2016

(I am the type of person who rarely gets sick, and even more rarely will call in to miss a day of work because of it. I had been feeling a bit under the weather, but toughed out the last few days of work before my weekend, figuring that two days off would do the trick. However, by the end of the weekend, I’m actually feeling worse, having developed a fever and persistent cough. With no other alternative, I get up early to call into work. Since I know no one is in the office yet, I have to leave a message.)

Me: *coughing through the entire thing* Hi, this is [My Name]. I’m really sorry about this, but I’m not feeling well. I’ve got a cough and fever that won’t go away, so I’m going to the doctor this morning. I’m really sorry to call in, but I’ll bring a doctor’s note tomorrow.

(I go to the doctor, where I am diagnosed with strep throat and given a prescription for antibiotics. According to the doctor’s instructions, I have to take the next two days off from work, until I am no longer contagious. It is now several hours later and I call work again to give the bad news. This time, my supervisor answers the phone.)

Supervisor: Hello, [Company Name]. This is [Supervisor].

Me: Hi, [Supervisor]. It’s [My Name]. I just got out of the doctor’s office and I’ve got strep. I’m going to get my meds now, but I have to miss the next two days of work. I’m really sorry about this!

Supervisor: [My Name]! Don’t even worry about it. When [Coworker] pulled your message off the phone this morning, she dragged me over to listen to it. It didn’t even sound like you! You take all the time you need to get better, and don’t worry about missing a few days! We’ll see you when you get back!

Me: Okay. I still feel really bad for calling in, but thanks.

(Even though everyone was really understanding and concerned about my health, they couldn’t resist teasing me a little when I finally did go back to work, since my voice was still a little croaky.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!