Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #56810

Unfiltered | May 2, 2016

When I was in college I decided to get a part time job for my second and third years. I was limited in my choices since I moved home for the summer. I was basically asking someone to hire my for 6-8 months while I was at school. For second year I was lucky enough to get jobs inside the school (tutoring, giving tours, helping file in the administration office, etc.) In third year however, I got a job at a popular fast food chain restaurant. Longest six months of my life, Amongst other things, this is what I witnessed:

Managers and assistant managers having prank wars with each other, and the part time staff getting in trouble for some of what they did. These pranks included spiking each others drinks with condiments such as vinegar and salt, and trying to lock each other in the walk in freezer.

Staff regularly resetting timers on the warming trays to avoid having to cook fresh food, particularly for items that took longer to cook or needed special cooking practices.

Staff being lazy – in one instance I got in trouble for fighting with co-workers because even though I was busy trying to get meat off the grill, and they weren’t doing anything, it was apparently my job to answer the staff door (we had to let staff in since that door was always kept locked). I loudly refused, explaining I was trying to stop the meat from burning, but apparently I was the one who was totally wrong in that situation, and it was fine for the others to continue to do nothing, AND to completely ignore the door, because I was closer to the door and they didn’t want to walk the extra few feet.

Maanagers refusing to manage: new hires were supposed to be given a two month review and a four month review. I got my two month review after three months and had to fight for my four month review. I finally was given the review after five months but was given such a bad grade I quit soon after. But the final straw was…

Managers not paying attention to staff scheduling requirements: I was once scheduled for an 8 hour shift that I thought was for a time that I was supposed to be in class. When I questioned it, I was told it was actually starting at 11pm, not 11am, and was an overnight shift. I protested, since I would be in class all day and have no chance to sleep before the shift, but was told I had no choice. Luckily it was a Friday night. So I did it, but it threw off my whole weekend and I was a wreck for class on Monday. I then submitted a request to never have an overnight again, since it would affect my classes. Everything was fine until after I had to fight for my last review – as I previously mentioned they gave me a horrible grade, and withing two weeks of that I was scheduled for overnights again. I said I couldn’t because of school, they said I had no choice, so Instead of showing up for work I dropped off my uniforms and quit.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!