Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Unfiltered Story #56766

Unfiltered | March 20, 2016

(My fiancée and I aren’t the kind of people who like to complain about others. And in fact we often like giving compliments to the lowest ranking employees since we feel they’re under-appreciated, but we’ll still complain if we really feel the need to. This happens at an income tax assistance kiosk located in a very well-known worldwide retailer while my fiancée is paying for our groceries.)

Me: “Hi I was just wondering, how much do you charge for income tax service?”

Employee: “It depends, but normally we charge $120 for a regular service.”

Me: “Oh that’s pretty expensive, I usually do it at home with tax software for $30. No chance you offer a discount to Veterans?”. (I used to be in The Marines.)

Employee: *matter-of-factly* “Yes, but you’re not a Veteran.”

(I was in such shock that I thought I just happened to mishear her so I replied with…)

Me: “What?”

Employee: “You’re not a Veteran. Are you?”

Me: “Yes.”

(I felt very much discriminated against and showed her my VA card and Dog Tags but she still didn’t seem entirely convinced. I didn’t want to cause a scene so I continued to talk to her then left and told my fiancée what just happened. We then called the general manager of the store who got us the name of the employee and even the number of office she works for. Later we called the office and spoke to the manager who agreed that this was beyond insulting and promised to take care of the situation. We went back to that store about a week later and didn’t see her so we’re pretty sure she got fired.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!