Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

37 Years And Still Behaving Like A Toddler

, , , , , | Working | November 23, 2017

(There is a local general store and deli a few minutes from our house with delicious sandwiches. The owner runs the shop and is always working, with maybe one other person. Lately, the usually set business hours have been sporadic. One afternoon, my dad calls the shop to politely ask when they are closing that day — we’ve tried to get food there the past two nights and are hoping they’ll be open tonight. When asking them about the hours my dad is polite and friendly, with no hint of anger in his voice.)

Dad: “Hi, we were wondering when you are closing tonight?”

Employee: “Just a moment.” *after a minute* “3:00 pm.”

Dad: “Oh, okay. What is the reason for your odd hours? We’ve been trying to come, but you closed at one the other day and three today.”

Employee: “Just a moment.” *fetches the owner*

Owner: “Hello?” *not yelling but sounds short*

Dad: *repeats previous questions*

Owner: *very angry sounding* “Because I’m old, and when I get tired, I quit!”

Dad: *realizing he is angry and trying to be positive* “I like how you think.”

Owner: *a bit angrier* “I’ve been doing this for 37 years, and I can do what I want!”

Dad: *still trying to just be polite* “Good answer. We wanted to order sandwiches today, but won’t be able to make it to the store in time, so we may send our neighbor.”

Owner: “Fine, just call them in!” *hangs up*

(We had been planning to still get the food since my mom was craving it, but I realized that, personally, I really didn’t want to get anything because I don’t like rewarding bad behavior. Whether my parents and neighbor got anything was up to them, but because I seemed so angry, they decided not to get anything, either.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!